Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Poor conversion rates are the killer ...

This is my first blog ... on Blogger that is.

I have in fact been writing regular columns for a number of e-zines in Australia since 2003 usually about social media and my pet subject 'local search'.

As the founder of the Your Online Community network and having researched the topic for many years I have formed some pretty definite views on the state of the internet and in particular how it disadvantages smaller businesses.

As part of my role as a trainer delivering workshops about online marketing around New South Wales I regularly speak to small business owners trying to make sales using Pay-Per-Click tools such as Google AdWords.

It seems the experience is almost always bad.  After many weeks or months of trial and spending modest amounts of money they usually throw their hands up in frustration.

In most cases I have spoken to they are trying to run their campaigns completely inhouse trying to keep costs down.

Having worked online for over 10 years and currently completing a PhD in computer science I must say I am not surprised that these people have difficulty mastering the technicalities involved.

I am aware that Google has recently officially recognised that the current process is complicated but I am not aware of any suggested remedies.

Using a Google Analytics consultant would appear to be the only option currently available to them although in my own case our company is prototyping some much simpler SEM tools.

I will provide more information in coming blogs.

If you wish to discuss local search techniques please email me

No comments:

Post a Comment